Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How does your program work?


Our students attend class Monday through Thursday from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm and Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.  This is when students take their English and social studies classes, which are taught by our highly qualified teachers. Each semester students must also take a minimum of one college class of at least three units, for which they receive both high school and college credit. This means that students can complete their math, science, fine art, or PE requirements through the college, as well as get a head start on a degree.


I need to retake a high school class over the summer. Can I do it at HSMC?


We don’t have a summer school session. If you want to take college classes for high school credit you will need to speak to your high school counselor.


Can I just attend some of your classes?


HS@MC offer an integrated curriculum. Our English and social studies classes are taught collaboratively, all students must attend our high school full-time from 1:00 to 5:30 pm, Monday-Thursday, and on Fridays from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon.


How does the HS@MC curriculum compare to other alternative programs?


HS@MC is not a continuation school. Our curriculum is fairly rigorous, so students should expect to do a lot of reading and writing. Classes are discussion-based, and tests are essay-based and not multiple choice.


Can I attend HS@MC if I’m over 18 years old?


Only if you are in normal standing as a senior in your fourth year of high school. We are not a continuation school, and we do not have the ability to accommodate those special cases.




Can HS@MC accept credits from my private school or homeschool program?


Yes, as long as the school or program is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).


What if my current school isn’t WASC-accredited?


In some cases we may be able to accept non-WASC credits. Please call our office at (805) 378-1444 for further information.


If I attend HS@MC, can I play sports at my old high school or at the college?


Schools generally disallow students from participating in sports if they are not currently enrolled. Our students may play sports at Moorpark College, but should keep in mind that per CIF rules they will forfeit a year or more of playing college sports.


Why can’t seniors transfer to HS@MC mid-year?


The senior year culminates with a year-long Senior Project which involves researching and job-shadowing a specific career; there’s simply too much work to be made up in one semester.


Can I request to have courses from other colleges on the HS@MC transcript?


If the college course is not on the transcript from your previous high school, we will not included on ours. Once you've attended HS@MC for one semester, only  courses taken at Moorpark College will be noted on the HS@MC transcript. Special permission must be requested to take courses at Oxnard and Ventura colleges.


HS@MC Application


Will poor grades affect my chances for acceptance?


They may, however some of our students come to us with less-than-stellar GPAs— in that case, we may conditionally admit if other guidelines are being met. Usually, we ask that any credit deficiencies be made up the summer before beginning as a student of ours. We consider the application as a whole, including test scores and recommendations, when determining whether a student is likely to succeed in our program.  An interview with the selection committee may be required. 


What if I’m currently homeschooled or in an online program and can’t reach any teachers for recommendations?


It is very important that we receive a recommendation from a school official who can vouch for your academics, attendance and discipline.  We accept recommendations from any adult who isn’t related to you. Good candidates for referrals include community or religious leaders, scout leaders, bosses, and anyone else familiar with your attendance, behavior, abilities, participation, and performance.


My current school doesn’t offer the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) testing?


That’s OK, just let us know when you hand in your application. If you have PSAT  or other assessment test scores you can submit those instead.


Attending Moorpark College


Do I have to pay tuition?


HS@MC is a public school, so it’s free to attend. While high school textbooks are provided, students are responsible for purchasing college materials. College tuition is waived for students coming from within the state of California, but a health fee ($19) and student rep fee ($1) must be paid each semester. You will need to purchase a parking pass if you drive to school. (All fees are decided by Moorpark College and are subject to change.)


Is there financial aid for high school students?



All high school students enrolled at HS@MC receive free tuition at Moorpark College, but there is no financial aid for high school students.  The Financial Aid Office is available to assist students continuing their education after high school.


Are students able to get their college classes?

HS@MC students are given priority registration at Moorpark College before other high school students. In addition, the Principal and the college Dean of Learning work closely to ensure that students are enrolled in math and science classes which are required for graduation. 



Can you tell me more about the high school/college experience?



Just like you, we want your student’s first experience with college to be a successful one. One of the most important factors will be your support. It is important that you are aware of some of the differences between high school and college.

  • Attendance will not be monitored in the same way as high school. If your student doesn't attend regularly, no office will call to notify you of this. Students can be drop failed from a course for lack of attendance.
  • Courses are designed for adult students, and may contain information of adult nature.
  • You will not have access to your student's grades or records. Please read further  on the FERPA policy.    
  • Instructors are not available for parent conferences.
  • Your student will be responsible for all homework, papers and assignments. If they are having difficulty, they should attend the HS@MC math support class after school, speak with the  college instructor during his or her office hours, or get tutoring.


Wednesday, August 9th

Start Time: 1:00 p.m.